Thursday, April 13, 2017

L: Libraries and the Patrons Who Love Them


Pssst. Come closer. Closer. Closer. I have a confession to make. I LOVE LIBRARIES!!!!!!!! Sorry, I may have been a little carried away there, but I can't help it. I love libraries, and everything about them. The books, the buildings, the people, the shelves and cases, the restricted areas, the offices, the binding/repair rooms, the delivery rooms, the smells, the sounds, and most importantly, the "feels" externally and internally.

I've tried to figure out why, and I'm not sure, but it feels like home. Growing up, we didn't have a lot, but we had enough. Books were a luxury, but we could raise money to buy them, or even better, we could visit the library. I usually went once a week, dropped off by my mom. I'd search the aisles, off on an adventure. I'd check the card catalogues and find what I wanted or ask the librarians, and would squirrel away several books to view on a comfy chair in the corner. There I sat for hours, reading about adventures around the world and beyond, from the past, present and future. Year s later, I used the school library, and while my time was tied up in school work, I always found something of interest, which I tried to include in the project de jour. I'd moved over the years, and always visited the local and school libraries at each setting, while creating my own - usually some boards and blocks, but they were all mine.



 In our last home, I promised myself that one room would be dedicated to books, and at last count of 7500+ books, I found this room as place of sanctuary, a fortress for school work and business, a place to reflect and grow. I made sure I had a comfy place to relax and savor the moment, each time I visit. I started collecting books about books, bookstores and specifically libraries (especially Eco (writings on the Anti-Library), Berry (Alexandria Link) and Manguel - Library at Night, you must pick this up), found TV shows like Black Books and Stacked, or movies, the very best - at least from a bookstore point of view - is 84 Charing Cross Road, but who could forget classic the scene from Ghostbusters, or the call, "to the library..." in movies and TV, and books, pre-google, to find whatever you were looking for. I still cry when I think of all that was lost in the FIRE of the original Library of Alexandria. When I learn about a new author, I try to find out what their libraries look like, to see if I'll like their book - true story!

So if you get that opportunity, and find that special place, in your locale, or even your own place, start pulling together those special books, find a comfy chair, maybe even a snack or beverage, and make that your library. Now quiet please, I'm reading!

1 comment:

  1. Wow...I've honestly never heard such enthusiasm for libraries. Good on you. Our library in Darwin City has a quote from Einstein draped down the front of it ( a large banner). It says "The important thing to know is the location of the library." I don't know if he really said, although I presume the council isn't lying to us good folk of Darwin - but in any case, it's a cool quote and perfect for your L post.

    ReplyDelete