Monday, April 3, 2017

Collecting: A Way of Life

I don't think it hits you until you notice a small innocuous pile of items. A collection of toys, of albums, of bubble gum wrappers, of Cracker Jack prizes, and of course, books. You purchase an item and use it for its intended purpose. But every now and then, you feel something, realize something, attach to something, and your emotions rationalize the need to hang on to it. It gives you a certain satisfaction, completion, even the sense of connectivity. In science, and in life, this feeling of "one-ness" was described by E. O. Wilson as Consilience - the premise that everything is connected to everything else. Neuroeconimists describe how certain brain activity occurs when you spend actual money, but little or no activity occurs when you use a credit card - but the activity increases again, if you trade something of value even if it's only to you - and again thus occurs when you purchase something of value, again even if it's only to you. So it comes as no surprise that we collect, whether intentionally or not, things that we value. As a child, I love the comic strips I'd find in bubble gum wrappers so I'd only buy Bazooka Joe; when I had the choice for cereal, I'd always grab the one with the free prize inside; we'd pick up the pack of baseball cards, chewing the stick of gum while attaching the cards we didn't trade to our bike spokes; we'd pick up the latest adventures of Archie and Jughead, Li'l Dewy, Disney, and Superhero comics for 10 cents at our favorite corner drug store while enjoying a shake and a look or two from the owner as we had comics all over the floor to pick our favorites after reading the others; and when we would pick up some fast food, we'd go to Burger Chef, or Burger King, or especially McDonalds because of the cool, at least to us, toys in the kids meals. Today many of those toys are worth hundreds, even thousands, with similar increases in value of the other pastimes, which mean many have continued this collecting habit through their lifetimes. Book collecting happened inconspicuously enough. I enjoyed reading, and if I liked a certain title or series, I would find similar items. After awhile, I had them stacked on the dresser in my room. Next they took up a drawer, then two, then were lined up on the dresser, then on an added shelf. As I grew, my passion followed. When I went to college, there didn't seem to be any time to read for pleasure, but I found myself collecting textbooks, and ancillary books in my fields. With each move, another shelf was added. In two of my destinations, as I continued adding degrees (a collection of its own, now holding steady at 13 degrees), I added shelves - the easiest was using 2x8s and cement blocks, first one, then two,....then eight! I moved many times in pursuit of my dreams and our current home had the stipulation that one room would be a library. It allowed my passion for collecting to be housed in one room - perfect for reading, but also as a teacher, a great place to set up lesson plans and grade papers. My collection is currently at 7500 books (hardcover, paperback, and ebook) and growing. It has become my sanctuary, my fortress, and sometimes even my solitude. I echo Alberto Manguel's view described in Library at Night, I may not read them all, but knowing they are there, brings me great comfort because they are who I am. I don't think they will ever become Carlos Ruiz Zafon's "Cemetary of Forgotten Books (from Shadow of the Wind), as I browse, reflect and collect daily. E.O. Wilson would be proud, as I've taken the concept of Consilience to heart - my collection has allowed me to feel that my books make me, and I complete my books!

6 comments:

  1. I was having this conversation with my dad a few weeks ago about how much potential money I ruined by using hockey cards in my bike spokes or as target practice with my BB gun. The only thing I'm collecting these days is stamps in my passport, which is never bad, but I do miss thumbing through my old piles of cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No time like the present - when I owned my collectibles shop, people would come in and ask for items "that would go up in value in the future" a I'd direct them towards items they would enjoy, and if they go up in price in the future, that's a bonus....thank you!

      Delete
  2. Lovely article...It feels good to know that it's only human tendency to collect things we consider valuable to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emotional attachment is just as important - have collected a lot of things that I couldn't imagine parting with, because they mean so much to me....thank you!

      Delete
  3. That's an interesting and thought provoking article

    Launching SIM Organics

    *Menaka Bharathi*

    *SimpleIndianMom*

    ReplyDelete