Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Feeling Nostalgic

Feeling nostalgic - when I had my first bookstore Chulio Bookbrokers in Rome, GA, I was paying $50 per month, utilities included - I was also teaching at Floyd College (now named Georgia Highlands)....my wife would get out of work and stop by, so I could go home to go to the bathroom and grab a sandwich! I opened the shop because of my love of books, and had it in the middle of nowhere because it was near my house - knew nothing about business plans, and marketing strategy - I just knew the basics of Economics, which became mantra of a movie that hadn't come out yet, Field of Dreams, "If you build it, they will come!" And they did, so much so, I moved the store to a downtown, named Bookbrokers. Its success led me back to Traverse City where I opened another location on S. Union, also named Bookbrokers, and then Grand Traverse Mall, named ComicQuest, and then working for Horizon Books in Traverse City and Cadillac, and even my brief foray with Books a Million - really missing the store that started it all today for some reason - I used to pick up my stock from homes, attics, barns, estate sales, flea markets, and yard sales - I traveled to neighboring Alabama and Tennessee to find what the customer wanted - because it made me feel good, finding things for people when they had lost hope everywhere else - it was a love, a passion, and a way of life, that I've continued over the years - in quiet moments, I close my eyes and remember the very special times when I could help another soul as passionate in their love of books as I was myself. I remember visiting amazing shops in the surrounding area - Atlanta to be precise, and two give me the most vivid memories, and their futures demonstrate the hit-or-miss volatility of the market - one was C Dickens, which deals in rare books, maps and manuscripts which is still thriving today; another is Oxford Books (and its fellow stores, Two, and Three) which no longer exists except in the minds and hearts of those who were blessed to be its regular customers for eternity - there is something so rare, so beautiful, so extraordinary to meet a kindred spirit on the path that you have taken yourself - they understood, the need, the passion, and even the heartbreak to seek, to find, to release, and to seek once more, because you wouldn't have it any other way....so here's to you, ye searchers of tomes old and new, whether for another, or your own peace of mind - just another reason that no matter how long I live as a Bookman ( and I believe that's why I also became a teacher), I will be proud to have found that special something for that special someone for which they sought, whether lost or forgotten, to be held in their hearts forever more - this article summed up the passion of those who have lost a treasure, the soul of a community as Neil Gaiman would quote, the bookstore.... http://www.atlantaintownpaper.com/2014/11/intown-20-remembering-oxford-books/

No comments:

Post a Comment